Home Forums Main Forum Suggestions

Tagged: 

• Author
    Keymaster
    #417 |

This is all very new to me, so I welcome any suggestions on how the Forums could be improved. Thank you for your patience.

• Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

Below are a list of things I am currently looking into:
    * improving interface,
    * adding recurring payments, and
    * improving the check-out procedure.

I welcome any suggestions regarding the above or any other area.

• Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

There is now a “>” symbol after the thread title, if there are posts you have not read yet in that thread. The first time, all of the threads will have the “>” symbol by default, but it will start keeping track, as of today. Hopefully this will make your browsing easier.

• euroflies
    Participant

Any interest in putting up an ‘other resources’ topic to discuss various ED specific resources they utilize? For instance, one item I wish I would’ve known about earlier is MNI Fixed Income bullet points which provides good summary throughout the day at a very reasonable $175/month.

• Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

I think MNI is a reasonable data source. Beckner was the Hilsenrath in my early trading days (before he moved to MNI). The situation I want to try and avoid with the Forum is having a bunch of spam/advertisers on it. I actually get quite a bit of spam comments that I have to delete from the Excerpts part of the web site. I suppose the spamming risk is less on this Forum than others because it is not free. Did you want to have a separate forum for “Product Reviews”? Another user posted a great link to a historical data site in one of other threads. So I suppose having some sort of “resource” area could be good. If there is enough interest, maybe I could talk to them about a volume discount or something. I am just thinking aloud, so let me mull some of these issues over.

• euroflies
    Participant

Yeah I can understand that it’s not a great idea to open up anything which would attract spam. I was just suggesting to get a dialogue going on what tools or sources people utilize.

MNI is good for news flow and has a good signal/noise ratio compared to various squawk services that tend to flood information. In such an algo driven market like ED though, it’s a background tool rather than something to trigger trades.

• Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

Let me think about this some more. I do see merit in having a resource page. It’s just that there are some trial subscribers who are in the research (publication) field, and I do not want the spamming to become a distraction. Thanks.

• me
    Participant

There’s a lot of good material on the forum / site, but it could be a bit overwhelming if you haven’t done much in the STIRs. Where do you suggest we go first to start digesting the material. How would you recommend someone pick-up / learn the material aside from following your trade on paper?

• Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

Can I ask what your background is?

The best book that I know if is Galen Burghardt’s The Eurodollar Futures and Options Handbook. However, it it old and more theoretical. You may be looking more for a current book. There may be a better book out there, but I have learned more on the job. Let me flip through Amazon and see if there is anything that would fit your needs.

• me
    Participant

I’m a full-time trader of FX, commodities, and some rates. Both term structure trades and outright.

I put on simple steepeners/flatteners or rate futures, but it’s a lot less complex IMO since there are only a few places on the curve that you can get exposure. They’re a bit more ‘macro-trade’ whereas it feels the STIRs are more expectation of rates? I’ve done similar trades in STIRS, but more based on px-action than any type of rigorous statistical analysis of perturbations / mean reversion in the forward curve.

I guess I should have been a bit more clear. I think just a bit more hand hand-holding in terms of how to get started mechanically. the ‘on-the-job-training’ bit you mentioned, and less on the theoretical aspects. Maybe some sample spreadsheet/tools as a baseline for how to do the analysis, what to look for, etc.

I’ve looked through Aikin’s book, but not Burghardt’s. I’ll take a look at that as well. But in general, the literature out there seems to be more theoretical, but the gap between theory and praxis can be a bit wide. Brushing up is always good, however.

• Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

The thing I like about STIRS is that eventually they converge to something (usually some function of central bank rate path). So this allows you to develop some structures that may be more “contained” in terms of price action. I looked at the table of contents for Aikin’s book, and there wasn’t much the theory or valuation part of EDs.

Every junior guy that I ever worked with (including myself), knew basically nothing about trading EDs. But it was a little easier getting someone started when they sat with you and watched the markets. Let me think about a new thread I can start on how to practically get started looking at the more common ED structures.

• me
    Participant

Ok I’ll take a look a look at Burghardt’s book as a starting point then. Perhaps that’s a better resource.

Look forward to whatever you might come up with in terms of structures and/or getting started.

• Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

I made a new thread titled “Basic Eurodollar Analytics”, where I will go over how to set up a spreadsheet with various structures, and what sorts of things you are looking for in the various structures. I generally post in the Forums every day, so I will try to add new material daily.

• me
    Participant

Cool – Thanks.

• me
    Participant

Thought of a suggestion. I’m not sure some if your forum software has the ability to do this. But, I was thinking subscribers might find it useful to get some kind of weekly ‘digest’ by email of the latest topics / posts?

Some people might find it easier to read through the latest posts by email, and then sign on to contribute as needed? It may get the content to more subscribers in their email box. Otherwise one need to sign-on and be in-front of a computer just to read, instead of maybe consuming on the go in the cab/uber/train/bar/etc. Seems like a small thing, but a little convenience could go a long way.

• Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

@me said:
    Thought of a suggestion. I’m not sure some if your forum software has the ability to do this. But, I was thinking subscribers might find it useful to get some kind of weekly ‘digest’ by email of the latest topics / posts?

Some people might find it easier to read through the latest posts by email, and then sign on to contribute as needed? It may get the content to more subscribers in their email box. Otherwise one need to sign-on and be in-front of a computer just to read, instead of maybe consuming on the go in the cab/uber/train/bar/etc. Seems like a small thing, but a little convenience could go a long way.

Let me look into this. It may take a few weeks, but it is in the queue.

• Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

I am currently in the process of testing a basic add-on to allow for daily or weekly email updates. I will let you know when it is completed.

• Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

This is what I think is a good solution, considering the software limitations I have:

* I set up a “Digest Email” feature. This will allow you to receive an email weekly (or daily) listing all the new posts in the Forums. Unfortunately, it just provides you with a list of links, and not the excerpts. But I suppose when there is a lot of volume, having a bunch of excerpts may make the emails too long. In any envent, the email allows you to see the title of the thread, and you can just click on the posts you want to see. To set this up:
    – click on “Profile” (the second item on the right sidebar) underneath the “Welcome” message.
    – scroll through to the bottom of the page and choose your selections under “bbPress Digest Emails”. Click the email settings you want.

* If you wish to just receive an email every time someone posts in the Forums (with full text), let me know and I can set that up for you. Not a lot of people post (except me), so you shouldn’t get overrun with emails in the short run.

* You may not have noticed, but when you log into the Forums, there is a small box with a “>” symbol in it on every topic where there is a post you hadn’t seen yet. So you can just log into the Forums every once in a while and quickly see which posts you have not seen yet.

Hopefully, one of the above three methods will make it more convenient for you to access the Forum posts. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.