Home Forums Main Forum Charity of the Month

Tagged: 

• Author
    Keymaster
    #420 |

I came up with the charity idea because I needed a way of weeding out people who are not serious about discussing the markets. The downfall of most forums is that people feel like they can post whatever they want because it is free and they are anonymous. This is not the case with this forum.

However, I did not want to discourage people from checking out the forums (or the newsletters). Spending money on a product one knows nothing about could be a harder sell, but I feel that donating all of the trial forum and trial newsletter memberships should not deter anyone who has a genuine interest in participating or subscribing.

Going forward, I would like you to nominate the monthly charities, and we can take a vote.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  Curve Advisor.
  • Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

I selected the charity through October to be the T. BOONE PICKENS HOSPICE & PALLIATIVE CARE CENTER CAMPAIGN. One of my neighbors heads the organization, so it was the first charity that came to mind. We all have an elderly parent or grandparent who may not be as healthy as they once were, and elderly care is something that had been on my mind the past year.

There are many good causes out there. If there is one you prefer, just nominate it (and try to provide a link or give more info) and we can all vote at the end of October.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  Curve Advisor.
  • Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

It is a little late in the process, so I’m going to keep using the as the designated charity thru November.

• Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

I can’t believe I lost track of the calendar! As of today, I will remove the T. BOONE PICKENS HOSPICE & PALLIATIVE CARE CENTER CAMPAIGN as the current charity, and instead switch to:

Toys for Tots

I can’t imagine anyone would have an objection to this, but I think this would be an apropos cause for the rest of the year.

I think for Q1 2015, we should go with Doctors without Borders. Considering how big a story ebola was this year, this is a good cause.

• Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

Since my mother passed away yesterday from pancreatic cancer, the charity for Q1 2015 will be a cancer-related charity tbd. Apologies for the delays in the charity admin – the last few weeks have been hectic.

• Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

I was saddened to hear that Stuart Scott passed away yesterday from cancer as well. While I was watching his ESPY speech, it occurred to me that the V Foundation would be a good charity for the quarter. I will update the site later in this weekend.

• Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

Apologies for the delay, but donations have been made to Presbyterian Communities and Toys for Tots. Enclosed are the thank you messages. For the sake of simplicity, let’s just keep the V Foundation for the rest of the year.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

We’re still going with the general plan of going with the Jimmy V Foundation for the year, but earlier in the year, we made a donation to the Nepal earthquake relief effort. I recently got this Thank You on Facebook. So Thank You to the new subscribers for your contributions.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • bambam
    Participant

Hey CA,

Have you ever looked at kiva.org?

It’s a platform that connects donations with small entrepreneurs in developing countries. I used to do this with all the boys in previous job, its amazing how small donations/loans can make a difference!

Cheers,
    E.

• Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

Well, they got a very high score from Charity Navigator, so maybe I’ll do something for Q1 next year. I grew up in NYC, so when I read some of those descriptions, I say to myself, “LOL. I’m never going to see that money back!” But I’m sure there are some good ones on there. I’ll look at it some more later in the year. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Curve Advisor
    Keymaster

For 2016, I’d like to start by donating to Wikipedia (aka Wikimedia). It’s really an amazing resource for just about anything you would like to know – I use it all the time. From what I understand, they probably don’t really need the money, so I’ll look into other charities for later in the year.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.