Home Forums Main Forum Blog: Starting an interest rate trading forum

• Author
    Keymaster
    #481 |

When I was putting up my web site, I stumbled across a thread on a site called EliteTrader where someone asked if they knew anything about the Curve Advisor. I wrote a reply clarifying some misconceptions in the thread and was promptly banned for spamming. I just don’t understand how you can have a discussion about anything when the person who probably knows the most about a topic gets banned. On the flip side, I can see why you wouldn’t want people talking about their businesses on a forum. However, if the the thread was a bunch of guys saying things which were not necessarily correct, I don’t see how I am not entitled to say things to clarify.

Anyway, this post is not about that thread, but that incident caused me to think about the fact that there aren’t many places where people can go to have a high quality chat with a wider network of other interest rate professionals. When I was trading at JPM, we had desk meetings, we met with other prop traders at the bank, we spoke with our economists, and since we were clients of other banks, we occasionally met with their economists and traders. But for every one of us that worked at a large place like that, I’m sure there are at least 100x as many traders who are more or less trading on an island (maybe an island with a few buddies). I’m not saying you couldn’t be successful on an island. But sometimes, it’s nice to have someone outside of your island to bounce and idea off of, or hear something you hadn’t thought about, and just to expand your perspective.

If you do a google search, you really don’t find much in terms of “trading forums” – and especially not one that focuses on interest rate trading. The only real benchmark I have is the trading forum on Wilmott. It looks like they get a handful of topic posts every week, so that’s probably a reasonable expectation. It’s not really about quantity. I’ll do my best to uphold the quality.  As previously mentioned in my original “Forum poll” post, traders tend to be very tight lipped.  But I look forward to the challenge.  At the very worst, this will end up being a “what is Curve Advisor thinking about now?” platform.  That may not be so terrible.

As always, I appreciate feedback.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by  Curve Advisor.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.